Sunday, September 14, 2014

Lift God Up


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/091414.cfm) reminds me that we should always lift God up in our lives.

In the first reading, we see the story of the bronze serpent who heals those bitten by serpents. In the gospel, we are reminded of Jesus being lifted up and healing, curing and saving people, more than the serpent in the first reading. In the second reading, we see that God greatly exalted Jesus and lifted him up. As we celebrate the feast of the Holy Cross, we are reminded that God deserves to be lifted high, and that we should lift him up in our lives.

God has been good to us, even if we do not deserve it. Though sometimes we easily forget God’s goodness and blessings in our lives, as the psalmist warns us.

Jesus is an example of how we can lift God high in our lives. To lift God up, we should humble ourselves before Him. Jesus dis this. He was God, but took human form because he loves God the Father. He gave up everything, even being one with God – when he bore our sins on the cross. He lived a simple life being carpenter’s son and not a son of a king. He preached about God’s kingdom. He healed the sick and brought glory to God. He stepped out of his comfort zone and emptied himself and allowed God to be exalted.

What about us? Are we full of ourselves – our worldly achievements, power, possessions, that we don’t give space to God? Are we hanging on to these worldly things that prevent us from fully following God? Are we willing to empty ourselves with all that we have, and lift God up in our lives?


Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another Sunday. Thank you for your great love and all your blessings. Thank you for reminding me that you don’t look at my credentials or accomplishments, rather, you look at my heart. Lord, I ask that you help me empty myself so I may be humble and willing to lift you up in my life. Help me step out of my comfort zone and trust you as I do things for and with you. As I do, I know you will do great things so your name would be lifted up and glorified. Amen.


Have a blessed Sunday!


In Christ,
-g-


Ps
See related reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...