Friday, September 12, 2014

Look Inside


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/091214.cfm) reminds me to look inside me first and not find fault in others

Bob Marley is one of the more popular artists in our time. Probably the most popular reggae artist. And one of his quotes is

"Who are you to judge the life I life?
I'm not perfect and I don't have to be.
But, before you start pointing fingers,
make sure your hands are clean"


Makes sense, right? Similar to what Jesus said in the gospel.

"Why do you notice the splinter in your brother’s eye,
but do not perceive the wooden beam in your own eye?
How can you say to your brother,
‘Let me remove that splinter from your eye,’
while the wooden beam is in your eye?
You hypocrite, remove the wooden beam from your eye first;
then you will see clearly to remove the splinter from your brother’s eye.”"


It is easy to see fault in others. It is easy to judge based on what we see and think. However, God tells us otherwise. Other than we probably do not know what's happening behind the scenes so we cannot properly understand the reasons for the action, we are instead asked to focus on ourselves. God wants us to look inside. God wants us to first change and improve ourselves. We too are imperfect, and sometimes instead of dealing with our imperfections and sins, we tend to look at others so that we won't feel so guilty or so bad about ourselves. We put the focus on others instead of improving ourselves.


God does not tolerate the imperfections and sins of others, nor of ours. But he wants us first to improve ourselves, then help, not find fault in, others.


Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another weekend coming up. Thank you for your love and forgiveness, Lord. I am sorry for the times I am quick to judge and find fault in others. Sorry for the times i magnify their imperfections in an attempt to hide my own. Help me not be quick to find fault in others, but first look at myself and improve myself so i can be more and more like you. Amen.

Ps,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...