Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Time to Serve


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/090314.cfm) reminds me that we should not forget to serve God.

People sometimes bargain with God. And the more we need, the more desperate we are, the more difficult or great we bargain God for it. Lord, heal me from this sickness and I will go to mass every Sunday. Lord, help me get out of this financial difficulty and I will give 10% of my earnings to the poor every month. Lord, help us get by this problem and I will go to Quiapo every Friday. However, when we get what we are praying for, situations change. Some tend to make excuses for not being true to their promise.

In the gospel, we see someone who did not promise anything to get what she needs, but just did what is needed to be done and served God.

He stood over her, rebuked the fever, and it left her.
She got up immediately and waited on them

Unlike others who forget Jesus after getting an answered prayer, Simon's mother in law did not. She served Jesus after she was healed. She did not just thank Jesus for it. She did not leave and do things she was not able to do when she was sick. She got up and served Jesus.

We are reminded that we too should serve Jesus. We too are reminded not to forget God when we get what we pray for.

When things are doing well, or when we already get what we are praying for, there is a tendency to be complacent in faith. We tend to put God on the back seat, since everything is fine. However, this should not be the case. May we be willing to serve God, especially when there are no big problems or concerns with our lives.

Father God,
thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another time to love and serve you. Thank you for all the blessings and all the answered prayers, Lord. Help me remain faithful and true to you. May I never forget you, especially when things are doing well in my life. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

ps
see related reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...