Thursday, April 12, 2012

He opened their minds


The readings today remind me that it is okay or somewhat normal is we do not understand everything we read in the gospel. Sometimes we just cannot understand God’s message for us, or the readings do not make sense. The apostles experienced this too.

He said to them,
"These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you,
that everything written about me in the law of Moses
and in the prophets and psalms must be fulfilled."
Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures.

The apostles did not understand what Jesus was telling them when he was still with them. Yet, they continued to follow him, to spend time with him. They were rewarded when Jesus rose from the dead and he opened their minds to understand the scriptures. As we see in the first reading, Peter, the one who went away and denied Jesus three times, testified for Jesus

You children of Israel, why are you amazed at this,
and why do you look so intently at us
as if we had made him walk by our own power or piety?
The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob,
the God of our fathers, has glorified his servant Jesus
whom you handed over and denied in Pilate's presence,
when he had decided to release him.
You denied the Holy and Righteous One
and asked that a murderer be released to you.
The author of life you put to death,
but God raised him from the dead; of this we are witnesses.
And by faith in his name,
this man, whom you see and know, his name has made strong,
and the faith that comes through it
has given him this perfect health,
in the presence of all of you

I am reminded to be patient when I do not understand everything I read in the bible. I am encouraged to be like the apostles, who continued to spend time with him even if they did not understand everything he was teaching. I need to continuously spend time with God in prayer and continue to build the relationship with Him, having faith that in the right time, he too will open my mind to understand the scriptures.

How do I react when I don’t understand the bible? What do I do when I can’t seem to understand God? Do I give up on him and walk away, or do I continue to spend time with him, knowing in faith that in his perfect time, he would reveal things to me?

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...