Wednesday, April 11, 2012

What identifies me?


Today’s readings ask me that question. What identifies me? In the first reading, Peter healed a man by Jesus’ name. He had faith and a relationship with Jesus, and that was what he gave to the crippled man. Peter was identified with his actions, he was identified with Jesus – the Messiah, saviour and healer. In the gospel, Jesus was identified by his actions. Their eyes were opened and they recognized him when he broke bread. Then they remembered that their hearts were burning when he was explaining to them the scriptures and why things had to happen.

I feel God is asking me the question – what identifies me? What actions define me? How do I react when faced with challenges, during difficult situations. In as much as it is a question, it is a challenge for me as well. Challenges and difficulties can either make or break us. It would either being out the best or worst in me. God is challenging me to be like Jesus, who shone and reflected God’s love and power during the darkest night, the lowest point in his life. Peter in the first reading used the opportunity to proclaim Jesus and his power. God is asking me to not let challenges get the best of me, but rather let God shine through me during these challenging times. Easier said than done, yes, but possible through God’s grace.

May we accept that challenge, to let God’s light and love shine the brightest during the darkest night. May our actions identify that we are Jesus’ followers, and give glory to Him, not us.

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...