Tuesday, April 24, 2012

He Satisfies


In today’s gospel, Jesus says that “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst” He is inviting us to come to him, to make him our everything. He satisfies.

We all need food to survive. We need nourishment. It is one of the basic needs of human beings. However, God tells us that “Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes forth from the mouth of God (Deuteronomy 8:3b)” In as much as we need physical food for our bodies, we need spiritual food for our soul. Only God, through Jesus, can give this to us, that is why he is inviting us to come to him.

If we follow Christ, if we come to him in total surrender and openness, he will give us what no one else can. He will give us food, sustaining our every need in life. As we get to know him and come to him, he will quench our thirst for God, our desire for the truth, our desire for His word.  This nourishment will radiate and satisfy other areas of our lives as well.

Do I come to Jesus for nourishment? Do I come to him in total abandon and with complete faith? In times of troubles, do I seek him more, or do I run away from him, the very thing that I need to get me through?

In our desire to come to him and be one with him, may one day we be able to say what the psalmist and St Stephen said in the first reading – “into your hands, o Lord, I commend my spirit”

God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...