Monday, March 25, 2013

Best Shot


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/032513.cfm) reminds me to give my best shot for Jesus.

My uncle tells me of a picture he keeps with him. it’s not a fancy picture taken by an artist using the state of the art camera, but by a normal camera of me taking free throw while playing basketball in grade school. He does not even remember if the shot went in, but what stuck to him was what I told him – “I gave this my best shot

I believe God is like this as well. He wont care about the result as much as he does with the process of us obtaining the result. God cares if we give him our best shot, in whatever we do, and not just with the output of the game.

Why? Because God deserves our best.

In the gospel, we see Mary giving the best oil for Jesus. She was a wise woman, knowing who to give the best oil to. Earlier Jesus commended her for choosing the better part, listening to Jesus instead of working like Martha.

God expects only our best. He does not compare us with others – with what others give, with the service of others, with what others say. God looks at our heart and checks if what we give him is our best. Like Jesus and the poor widow, he is not concerned if the amount we give is just a fraction of what others give. What is important to him is if we give our first fruits, if we give until it hurts, if we give from what we have and need, not just out of our surplus. God does not care of we cannot preach and teach as great preachers do. IF we live our lives in a way pleasing to him, if we teach others the best way we can, then that is more than enough for God. He does not care if we give up a lot for lent or when we sacrifice. What is more important to him is our heart and our intentions as we give these things up. If we give him our best, that is more than enough for Him.

May we be moved and challenged to give God our best shot, not just to give him out of our surplus or what is comfortable for us.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for this chance to ponder upon your Word. Lord, I ask that you help me have a heart that will give my best to you. Help me not to compare myself with other people, and not just to give you what is surplus, what is comfortable for me to give to you. May I give my best to you – the first fruits of my labor, the best of my time, my service, my resources. Remind me that you are not just concerned on the outcome, but if I give my best every step of the way. May I always give you and offer you my best shot in life. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...