Saturday, March 23, 2013

What’s your Motive?


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/032313.cfm) reminds me to check what  the motives of my actions are

In the gospel, we see chief priests and Pharisees discussing about Jesus. Why were they concerned? Why do they want to kill Jesus? Was it because he was doing something bad, or that they believe he was not a true son of God? Do they think he blasphemes and lead other people to sin? Unfortunately, not. They want to get rid of Jesus so they won’t have a threat to what they currently enjoy. They want him to die so no one will challenge them and expose the wrong that they are doing. They want to get rid of Jesus for their own evil motives.

You know nothing,
nor do you consider that it is better for you
that one man should die instead of the people,
so that the whole nation may not perish.

It may be seen like a noble intention. One man to die so the whole nation may be saved. But he has ulterior motives. Motives that other people may not see. Motives that I too may have.

Actions do not always reveal the real intention or motives of a person. Only we (and God) know what’s in our hearts as we do things that people see. This is why it is important to always check our motives for doing things – is it for ourselves, that people may say good things about us and for us to feel good about ourselves, do we want to project a certain image; or is it really for God – to praise and glorify Him?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for reminding me to check and examine my intentions. Lord, I know my heart can deceive even me, so I ask that you help me examine and purify my thoughts, purify my motives, purify my intentions. May I do things only for you, to honor and glorify you. Amen..

Blessed weekend!

In Christ,
-g-

ps
see related reflections:
http://mysimplereflection.blogspot.com/2012/06/whats-your-motive.html
http://mysimplereflection.blogspot.com/2013/01/check-heart.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...