Monday, April 22, 2013

Do You Smell Like Sheep?



The WORD today (Seehttp://usccb.org/bible/readings/042213.cfm) reminds me that we should get our hands dirty as we serve God.

The gospel again talks about Jesus talks about being not just the good shepherd, but the gate who protects not only the sheep but his undershepherds as well.

Shepherds care a lot for their lambs. They spend a lot of time with them – not just as a flock, but individually. They sleep with them, actually at the gate, to protect them from wandering and being lost and from danger. This shows how important it is to really get involved, to get our hands dirty as we serve others. Sheeps generally do not smell good, but there is a saying that a real shepherd smells like sheep – because he cares for them, spend time with them and is intimate with them – however dirty or smelly they may be.

In the first reading we see Peter acting like a real shepherd. He may have been hesitant at first, but eventually he obeyed God and got hid hands dirty when he spent time with gentiles – considered as unclean that time because they were not the chosen people.

All of us, whatever we do, are called to be shepherds to other people. As a parent, we are shepherds of our children. As an elder sibling, we are shepherds of the younger ones. Supervisors and executives are shepherds of their team members. Teachers are shepherds of their classes. Coaches are shephers of their teams. Leaders are shephers of their flock as well. No matter what we do, no matter how big or small our responsibility as a sheherd may be, we are called to care for and get our hands dirty as we serve and love our sheep, and not forget Jesus – our one, true shepherd.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for making me feel special. Lord, even if you have millions of cihldren, you never fail to make me feel special, to make me feel loved. You are a very personal God, and I thank you for that. I also thank you for entrusting me with people to take care of. I pray that as I serve you, I may also get my hands dirty as I care for others. May I lead them towards you – our one, true shepherd. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...