Friday, October 11, 2013

Relapse


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/101113.cfm) reminds me to avoid relapse

There is an important principle in work that also applies in life. “You are only as good as your last achievement.” Makes sense, right? This should always keep us in our toes, always sharp and ready to accomplish things. We should not sit on yesterday’s achievements and be complacent and overconfident with what we are doing.

In the spiritual realm, this is true as well. We should not be overconfident of our change of lifestyle or our state of being freed from evil in our lives.

In the gospel, we see Jesus warning us about this. “When an unclean spirit goes out of someone…finding no place to go it says I shall return home to where I came from…then it brings seven other spirits more wicked than itself, that the last condition of the man is worse than the first.”

Scary? Of course not, if we believe in God.

This just warns us not to be overconfident or complacent. As we are feed from evil spirits, as we live renewed lives, as we life a new life in Christ, we should not be overconfident and feel that we can handle everything that comes…because we can’t. As we are cleansed from evil spirits, from vices and sins, we should replace this with everything of God. Prayer. Fasting. Almsgiving. Worship. We should not just be contented with our new self, but work hard as well to strengthen and develop it, replacing bad for good, and filling our lives with everything God wants to give us.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another weekend coming up! Lord, I pray that I may not be overconfident. May I always work hard to have more of you, to know more of you. I pray that you fill my life with everything of you. Strengthen and protect me from the attacks of the evil one, and help me remain firmly in you. Amen.

Blessed weekend!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflection:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...