Monday, October 28, 2013

Pray Like Jesus

  
The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/102813.cfm) reminds us how important it is to pray like Jesus

IT is easy to take things that we have for granted. They say that you don’t realize how special or important someone or something is until you lose them. In Usher’s song, it says that “you don’t miss your water ‘till the well runs dry.” And prayer, which strengthens our relationship with God, is something we can tend to take for granted.

We know that prayer strengthens our relationship with God. We know that prayer is important. However, we also know that God will always be there for us, and he will always be ready to accept us, that’s why we sometimes take prayer for granted- because we know God will always be there. However, we are reminded and inspired by Jesus in the gospel today to not take it for granted, instead, to maximize it.

Jesus, the Son of God, knows how important and valuable prayer is. Probably among all the people that waked the earth, Jesus best knows God. And probably he is the one who worked the hardest to proclaim God’s kingdom. He started it, and during his last years, all he did was to proclaim God’s kingdom. However, he is also the one who loved prayer most. Working for God, and his close relationship with God did not become excuses for Him not to pray. He did not say “Lord, I am tired from doing your work, and you know what’s in my heart – I’ll skip prayer tonight because I need rest as I again do your work tomorrow” or “Lord,  I have known you since the beginning of time, I don’t have to pray that much” No, instead, he consistently prayed, and prayed even harder to prepare him as he makes decisions, like in today’s gospel when he chose his disciples.

Prayer aligns our will with God, and prayer strengthens us as we do our work, as we do work for God, and as we live this life on earth. May we be inspired by Jesus love for prayer and challenged by his dedication and commitment to prayer.

How do I look at prayer? Do I spend unhurried time everyday for prayer? Do I make excuses for not being able to pray? Do I justify not being able to pray, telling God that I am too tired, or that he knows what is in my heart anyway? Do I love praying?

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for another week. Thank you for an extra day to rest from work. Lord, as we have the barangay elections today, I pray that you be with all of us in a special way. May we be guided and vote for leaders who would really serve us. May this elections be not only a peaceful one but an honest one. May your will be done, Father God. Lord, I also want to thank you for the reminder. Thank you for the inspiring life of Jesus. May I have the same love for prayer as Him. may I value prayer, and may I have the heart that would be disciplined to pray as often as Jesus. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...