Sunday, October 20, 2013

Surrendered

  
The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/102013.cfm) reminds me how powerful surrendering to God is.

In the first reading, we see the story of Moses and Joshua. They went to war and as long as Moses had his hands raised, they got the upper hand in the battle. Imagine it. This must be a cool sight. if his hands were raised they were winning. If he got tired and lowered his hands, the enemies take over. Wow. How magical, right? But why were his raising of hands powerful?

Probably because it signified his surrender to God.

In praise and worship, one of the outward signs of surrendering is the raising of hands. Think of someone being held up, or being arrested. One raises the hands as a sign of surrender. That’s what Moses was doing. Raising his hands, surrendering to God not only himself but his people.

Surrender is not a one time decision. It is an everyday, constant decision. The battle was not one in one sitting. A one time raising of Moses hands was not enough. Raising the hands can become painful if done for a long period of time, that is why he had Aaron and Hur to help him raise his hands, and eventually they won the battle.

In the same way, surrendering to God is painful, and we will eventually go tired and weary, and would want to go back to where it was comfortable. That is why we need people to help and support us, to make sure we push despite the challenges and hardships, that we continue to surrender to God until the time we will be called to meet him face to face.

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for giving me another day to live. Thank you for another opportunity to know more about you. Lord, thank you for the reminder on surrender. Lord, I am sorry for the times I give up, the times I put my hands down when I feel pain, when I get tired and weary. Lord, I pray that you send me people to always help me and guide me and remind me to continuously and faithfully surrender to you, despite all the pain it may cause me. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...