Sunday, January 19, 2014

Not On Me

  
The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/011914.cfm) inspires me to be like John, putting the focus on Jesus, not on myself.

They say that if on a first date the man talks too much and all he talks about is himself, the girls are turned off. While it is natural for us to be proud of ourselves, too much of it is not good. In the same way, it is not good to feel inferior to others and look down on ourselves. In the gospel, John teaches us how we should act and live – being proud of what we do, but putting the focus on Jesus. We are only second to him.

John baptized people. He gained fame for this, and even had followers. But he did not let these worldly things get in his head. He did not let man’s approval and affirmation get in the way of God’s approval and affirmation of him. He did not lose focus on his task – to prepare the way for God. He knows that He must decrease and God increase.

In our lives, may we always remember to be proud of what we are doing, but always submit to God. May we remember that we are only second to Him, and that in what we do, God should increase and be glorified.

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another opportunity to rest and spend time with you and the people I love. Lord, I pray that you always remind me to put the focus on you. May my life be a testament of my love for you, and may my actions glorify and praise you, not myself. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...