Sunday, February 16, 2014

No Baggage


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/021614.cfm) reminds me that it is easier if there are no baggage.

When we travel by plane, flight fares are usually cheaper if there are no baggage to be checked-in by the passenger. It also makes it easier for the passenger to travel - no more waiting in the carousel for the baggage, less inspection, and easier to move around.

This is what the gospel reminds me. Though it teaches us a lot of things - raising the standards on hatred, killing, adultery, lust, and lying, what struck me was this verse:

if you bring your gift to the altar, and there recall that your brother has anything against you, leave your gift there at the altar, go first and be reconciled with your brother, and then come and offer your gift

It is easier to serve God if we have no baggage with us - hatred, envy, jealousy, lust, and other concerns/ sins that weigh us down. These things make it difficult to focus on God. That is why God wants us to rid ourselves of these things.

What baggage do I have in my life? What sins do I find it hard to let go? What bad habits or bad relationships am I in that makes me ashamed to look God in the face. What do I plan to do about it?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another Sunday. Lord, I pray that I be able to love and serve you without baggages in my life. Help me rid myself of things that are weighing me down. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...