Sunday, February 23, 2014

Perfect Love


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/022314.cfm) reminds me that God wants us to be like him, to love like him.

Sharing an excerpt of the gospel:

“Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you
For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have?
Do not the tax collectors do the same?
So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect”

It is easy to love those who love us. IT is easy to give to our family, our friends, and to that special someone who treats us good. It is easy to do that, even for sinners. Even the criminals and corrupt public officials do that. They love their family and those who do good to them. However, God expects more from us. God expects us to love others, especially those unlovable – the annoying person in the office, the person who spreads rumours about you, the corrupt person who steals money that could have gone to good projects for the poor. God wants us to love them, just as he loves them.

Love is not an investment.

You don’t love a person in the hopes of receiving back that love. You don’t help a person hoping that in the future the person will help you too. That’s investment, not love. Loving like God is loving with no strings attached, not expecting anything in return, just loving and helping others out of our love for God, as our way of loving and serving God.

May we be challenged and inspired by how God wants us to love – perfectly.

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for another day to live. Thank you for all the blessings you continue to give me. I don’t deserve all these, Lord, and I thank you for continuing to bless me nonetheless. Lord, I am sorry for the times I treat love and service as an investment. Sorry for loving only those lovable, those easy to love, those who I know will love me back. Sorry for serving others in the hope of one day getting that service back when I need it. Lord, I pray that you help me love like you do. may I love perfectly, without wanting anything back in return. To just love because I love you, and I want to share that love to others. May my heart be like yours. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...