Monday, September 16, 2013

Humility and Faith

  
The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/091613.cfm) reminds me how powerful the combination of humility and faith is

A lot of people want to have signs from God, not really to test him and his power, but to be affirmed that their decision is what God wants. We want to be sure. We want to have confirmation. However, we see in the gospel acting the opposite. Jesus was personally going to visit him, but he told him that his presence is not needed – his word is enough. Wow, grabe! He was not rejecting Jesus. on the other hand, his faith in Jesus is so strong that he knows Jesus’ mere words to heal is enough, plus the fact that he knows he is unworthy for Jesus to come to his home, and was sincere about it.

We see how pleased Jesus was. He was so pleased to see such faith in the centurion, whose concern was not even himself, but his servant. We also see how important the centurion’s faith and humility is, because we recite his words every single time we hear mass. “Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my servant (soul) shall be healed”

As we live our lives, may we be inspired by the centurion. May we have genuine concern not only for ourselves and our families, but for other people as well. May our faith be strong like the centurion, who did not need signs and affirmation, but knew that Jesus word is enough, and his power and mercy is limitless. And may we be humble enough, knowing who Jesus really is, and knowing our unworthiness before him.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another week. Lord, I pray that you always remind me to be like the centurion. May I have faith like him, a faith so strong it unleashes your power in my life and in the lives of others. May I also be humble like him, knowing how unworthy I am as I stand in front of you. Like him, may I be pleasing to you. Amen.

Blessed week!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...