Sunday, September 22, 2013

Temporary for Forever


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/092213.cfm) reminds me that we should be able to use our temporary resources to gain eternal rewards

There is a show in TV I watch called “Barter Kings” in which they trade their items for bigger, better items. They do this by making deals in which they get a slightly better item for what they originally have. Little by little, they make deals in their favour, and at the end of the show, they end up having an item with a value a lot bigger than their original item. What a deal, right?

This is similar to what God wants from us.

A few years back, I read a book called “The Law of Rewards” and one of the main point it says is that we should invest in eternity. The book puts it that we are just travellers in this world, and heaven is our real home. We will just stay in this earth for a short time. That being the case, we should be wise and use whatever we have on earth to build our home for eternity. To use temporary resources on earth to build our house in heaven, instead of holding on to it and enjoying it here.

In the gospel, we see the story of a dishonest steward. It was said that during that time, the stewards get a certain amount or percentage from the money the owners get. They have an automatic cut from the payments of the people. That is why when the steward found out he will be dismissed from work, he actually did not “cheat” the master to gain favour from the people. What he actually did was to take off his “cut” or his share in the amount, and just asked the people to pay exactly what will be given to the master. In that way, he found favour in the eyes of the people, and the master commended him for using his resources (or letting go of it) in preparation for his being fired from the job.

God has given us resources on this earth. And to live decently and comfortably, we don’t actually need a lot. What we spend is sometimes above and beyond the actual basics that we need. This is what God wants us to realize – that we should not enjoy too much that we forget other people. We are given resources not only for ourselves, but for us to help others as well. In doing so, we are not only doing good, but being wise as well. Money and everything in this earth will pass away, will gather dust, and will be left in this earth when we die. We need to be prudent and wise with how we use what we have. As we use our resources to help others and build God’s kingdom, we are being wise and use these temporary resources to build our eternal home in heaven.

May we live by the quote – live simply so that others may simply live. And be wise stewards and prepare our eternal place in heaven by the temporary riches on earth.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another day to live and to serve you. Lord, I pray that I always be reminded to love and serve you. I pray that I always be reminded how to use my resources properly. I thank you for providing for me and my family, and I make the decision to share whatever I have to others. I know that these are just temporary materials, but I can use them to build my house in your kingdom. Create in me a heart that would always be sensitive to others. May I be a happy giver for your kingdom. Amen.

Blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...