Friday, September 27, 2013

Suffering Christ


The WORD today (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/092713.cfm) reminds us that before his resurrection, Christ suffered greatly.

Superstars are not born overnight. When Michael Jordan was born, he did not know how to play basketball yet. When Tiger Woods was born, he wasn’t playing with golf balls yet. When Muhammad Ali was born, he did not have boxing gloves on his hands. Some may have shown potential at a young age, but they spent years developing and honing their talents before they were able to reap their rewards, before they became superstars.

In the gospel, we see Jesus, after telling he was the son of man, the Christ of God, also said he will suffer greatly, be rejected and even die on the cross, the most humiliating death that time. He wants to tell and remind his disciples, then and now, that since no slave is greater than his masters, as followers of Christ, we will also experience those challenges in life. However, as we remain faithful to him and continue to trust in him, we can also look forward to our resurrection with him, to the time we will be redeemed and spend eternity with him.

May we be reminded that life on earth was not easy for Jesus, even if he was doing God’s work, even is he was the Son of God. As his followers, let us be prepared for the challenges, but have our eyes set on the prize of being with him in eternity.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for reminding me how challenging and difficult life was for you. Lord, I thank you for the challenges I experience because I am your follower. Thank you for deeming me worthy to carry your cross and be one with you in your suffering as I work to build God’s kingdom on earth. Lord, I pray that you never let me go, that you continue to hold my hand and give me strength as I face life’s challenges. And may I remain faithful to you, with the vision of eternity with you in my heart. Amen.

Blessed Friday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...