Friday, September 6, 2013

Old is Good


The WORD today (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/090613.cfm) reminds us that change is painful.

There are a few things that get better with time, and what is most common to people is wine. We know that wine gets better with age. Same with some scotch. The older it is, the more expensive it is, because the better it tastes.

In the gospel, we see Jesus using this example. Old wine, old wineskins. Old cannot be joined with new. And in the same way people like old wine because it tastes better, people find it hard to let go of their old selves and be transformed to the new self in Christ. Why? Because change is painful. Old is better because it is comfortable, because we are used to it.

Accepting Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior is the start of a transformation. However, we should decide – to stick to the new self or go back to the old. No halfway between the two. Jesus says the letting go of the old self and accepting the new is painful and difficult, that is why the scribes and Pharisees were not willing to accept it. They were already too comfortable with their old selves, with the power and influence that they had. They were not willing to let go and change – and allow God to be truly God in their lives.

Change can be painful. The  pull of the old self may be too strong. But change is something necessary if we want to find favour in God. May we desire to change and become new creations in Christ, and resolve to stick to it as we live our lives.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for the gift of new life. Thank you for loving me so much and sending your son to die for me so that I can live. Lord, I pray that you give me a heart that would always desire to be a new creation in you. Everyday, may I accept Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior, and may I live my life as such, shunning the call of the old self and persevering to walk in the light as you continue to change me to become the person I was meant to be. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...