Friday, August 8, 2014

Choose What is Essential


The WORD today (See http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/080814.cfm) reminds me that we should choose what is essential in life.

There are a lot of things people would do to get what they want. Athletes train everyday to be in competition shape. They skip gimmicks, eat healthy food, and workout and train, just to prepare themselves. Other people save up to be able to do what they want. They do not eat and spend just so they would have money for night outs, parties and travel. There are some who work so hard to get the promotion and job that they want, at the expense of quality time for their family. Some would do anything to get the power, fame and influence, sometimes at the expense of their very dignity and integrity.

We are reminded today to choose what is essential for us. For it is for the essential things that we should do everything for.

In the psalm we see how powerful God is. Something we tend to forget, for we always know how loving and forgiving he is.

R. It is I who deal death and give life.
“Learn then that I, I alone, am God,
and there is no god besides me.
It is I who bring both death and life,
I who inflict wounds and heal them.”

In the gospel, we see again Jesus reminding us of something similar.

What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world
and forfeit his life?
Or what can one give in exchange for his life?

None of the things in this world is permanent. Only God is permanent. And We are asked to make the decision on who or what is essential to us – since this would determine how we would live our lives. If we want worldly power, fame, influence or money, then we would do everything, maybe at the expense of our very souls, to attain it. but if God is above all, we would do everything, including dying of ourselves and our worldly wants, to have him in our lives.

May we choose what is really essential.

Father God,
Thank you for today. thank you for another day to live. Thank you for another chance to love and serve you. thank you for another chance to experience you. Lord, I give you my heart. Mold it Lord and make it more and more like yours. May I always see what is essential in my life. may I always choose you in my life. as I do so, may in my own little way, I be able to give you the glory and praise that you deserve. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...