Friday, August 15, 2014

Lift Up the Humble


The WORD today (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/081514-day-mass.cfm) reminds me how God loves to lift up the humble.

Humility is not thinking of less of yourself. It is thinking of yourself less.

God loves each and every one of us. All of us are fearfully and wonderfully made - into the image and likeness of God. This is why there is no reason for us to think of ourselves less. However, we are called to be humble - to think of ourselves less, to think of our desires and comfort less, and think of God more.

Mary did not have it easy. From the start, she made a bold leap of faith. She surrendered to God even if saying yes to be the mother of Jesus is not going to be easy. This shows her humility - dying of herself and stepping out of her comfort zone as she serves God, as she surrenders to God. In the gospel we see her serving Elizabeth - even if she was pregnant she travelled to serve her. Despite being the earthly mother of the Son of God, she served her. How truly humble Mama Mary was!

As we celebrate Mama Mary's Assumption, we see that God loves to use the humble. Like with Mama Mary, God has great plans for us. God will use us mightily - no matter how simple we may see ourselves, no matter how normal we think we are. God does not need great qualifications to use us. God does not need tons of accomplishments for him to do great things through us. All he needs is what Mama Mary has - a pure and humble heart ready to die of ourselves, our needs and desires, ready to serve and love him.

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for another Friday. Thank you for reminding me how great and loving you are. Lord, I pray that I may have a heart like Mama Mary. May I be ready to die of my own wants and desires, and be willing to step out of my comfort zone as I serve you. I know it will not be easy but it will be worth it, and that you will do great things through me. As I humble myself, I know you will make me great in your eyes. Amen.

Blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

ps
see related reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...