Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Little One made Big


Today’s WORD (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/081512-mass-during-the-day.cfm) personifies what Jesus was talking about yesterday (See reflection: http://mysimplereflection.blogspot.com/2012/08/little-one.html)

As we celebrate the Assumption of Mama Mary, we see how great she became. We see how special and favored she is by God. We also see an epitome of a childlike faith and attitude.

Life was not easy for Mary. Yes, she was chosen by God, but that does not mean she had things served to her on a silver platter. As she was told she was chosen to by the mother of God, she knew there was a danger of her being humiliated (for becoming pregnant without getting married), yet she subjected to God’s will. She had that faith to surrender and just say “yes” even if she did not understand everything that is going to happen.

In the gospel, we see what we call the “Magnificat” or “The Canticle of Mary.” We see that the focus is really on God and not on herself. We see her magnifying and glorifying God. She was proclaiming God’s greatness. This attitude, this childlike faith, saying “yes” to God even if we do not understand everything, and giving back all the glory to God, is what makes her great in the eyes of God. This is what will make us great in the eyes of God, too.

Do I give my “yes” to God even if I do not understand everything he wants me to do? Am I willing to suffer for Christ? Am I ready to give back all the praise and glory to God, not on myself? Am I willing to be small and to have that totally dependent, childlike attitude and faith to God, and wait on Him to make me big in his eyes? Do I want to be like Mama Mary?

Father God,
Thank you for your word. Thank you that you continue to have faith in me and that you continue to see the goodness in me, even if I myself do not see it. Today, help me be like Mama Mary. May I have her faith and her love for you. May I be willing to give you everything and allow you to be God in my life, to the point of suffering for you. In my own little way, may I make you happy and glorify you. This I ask through the intercession of Mama Mary. Amen.

Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

PS
See related reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...