Friday, August 10, 2012

Give


Today’s WORD (see http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/081012.cfm) we are reminded how happy we make God when we give from the heart.

First reading says – “God loves a cheerful giver.” We make happy when we give, especially when we give happily and in faith. We are not selfish and think only of our self. We give happily not just when we have a lot, but because we have faith in God. We have faith that God will continue to provide for us, that’s why we are able to give whatever we have to others. The psalm also says blessed is the man who gives. Indeed, we can see that it is really better to give than to receive.

In the gospel, Jesus talks about a different kind of giving. Here, we should give not just our money, but our whole self. We generally love our self and work to have what’s the best for us. This is what Jesus wants to take us away from. He wants us to hate ourselves, just to show we love God more. We should be willing to die of our selves – of our own desires and wants, and trust in God and allow Him to fill us up with everything that is of his. The only way we can truly live is when we let God live in and through us.

God really speaks to us through the bible! Today, we are faced with an opportunity and a challenge. Our country just experienced a very tough couple of days. Now is the time to act and give back. Giving is not only money. Personally, more than money, what’s important for me is time. When I give my time, I am giving a part of my life that I can never get back. You can earn money, you can buy things, but you can never get back time you gave. There are a lot of different relief efforts which gives us different opportunities to help. Money, clothes, food, packing, distribution and most especially, prayers. Now God is giving us a challenge to step up, die of our selves, step out of our comfort zones, and let him live in and through us as we help others in whatever way we can.

Father God,
Thank you for speaking to us today. Thank you for reminding me the importance of giving and of allowing you to live in me. Lord, I ask that you put in my heart the desire to help out others in whatever way I can. Take me out of my comfort zone and help me die of myself to allow you to live in me as I help others. May every act I do be offered to you and glorify you. Amen.

Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...