Friday, August 31, 2012

Stay Awake


The WORD (See http://usccb.org/bible/readings/083112.cfm) today is a continuation of the gospel message yesterday. We are encouraged to stay awake and be prepared

In the gospel, we see the parable of the ten virgins. We should aspire to be like the five wise virgins and be prepared by living a life consistent to God’s ways. We should go beyond superficial goodness and strive to live a life deeply rooted in Christ. That will be the spare oil we will have. Like the ten virgins, it is easy to appear prepared and ready. However, when the going gets tough, that’s when we will know who is really prepared.

Living a life deeply rooted in Christ will enable us to light up the lamp again if ever we fall asleep, if ever we run out of oil. Although we are asked to be awake, there may be times we fall. We can fall asleep and run out of oil. However, if we are rooted in Christ, it will be easier for God to call us back, it will be easier to light up the lamp again. By staying awake, we are asked to be prepared and root our lives in Christ, beyond the superficial level of faith, goodness and obedience to Him.

Do I prepare for Christ’s coming? Do I do my best to live a life deeply rooted in Christ, or am I living a superficial life of obedience to Him? Am I willing to go out of my comfort zone and strive to get to know God more and live my life the way he wants me to?

Father God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for never giving up on me. Thank you for reminders like these. Lord, I pray that I be sensitive and heed your call to prepare myself. I know that all of us will face you eventually, so I ask that you give me the grace not only to accept it, but to prepare for it as well. May I not be deceived by the enemy into thinking that I will still have time to change my ways in the future. Help me change my ways and follow you now. Amen.

Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflection:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...