Saturday, August 11, 2012

Step Up in Faith


Today’s WORD (see http://usccb.org/bible/readings/081112.cfm ) again emphasizes the importance of faith.

Faith is important. Faith is powerful. Faith is needed. We know that lack of faith hindered Jesus to perform miracles in his hometown (see http://mysimplereflection.blogspot.com/2012/07/lack-of-faith.html ), and in the gospel, we again see an effect of little faith. The disciples were not able to heal a boy from a strong demon. Their fear was stronger than their faith. This is God’s challenge to us. We need to step up in faith, we need to pray for and work to strengthen our faith.

The first reading reminds us what faith in God does. “…but the just man, because of his faith, shall live.” Other than doing mighty works in God’s name, as we see in the gospel, faith in God will enable us to live, to truly live. Live to see eternity with God. Life is not always easy and happy. There will be challenges. The enemy will try hard to destroy us and bring us down. However, amidst all these, if we have faith in God, we will live, we will surpass all these and have life in God.

How is my spiritual life? How is my faith? What is the limitation of my faith? When faced with a seemingly impossible thing, do I still have faith in God’s power or do I let my human emotions and logic take control? When things are challenging, do I have faith in God and his plans, or do I take things into my own hands? Do I believe Christ when he said in today’s gospel “If you have faith…nothing will be impossible for you”?

Father God,
Thank you for the gift of faith. Thank you for such a strong and powerful gift. Lord, I know I have only a mustard seed of faith, and Lord, I ask that you help me develop this seed, that you help me grow it so that it may eventually become a sycamore tree that would give glory to you. Amidst all the challenges in life, help me live a life of faith that will praise and glorify you. Amen.

Have a blessed weekend!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...