Sunday, July 8, 2012

Lack of Faith


In today’s gospel, we see the power and importance of faith, ironically, through the lack of it.

Jesus went to his hometown, and the people, instead of being proud that Jesus came from there, belittled him and took offense at him. They did not believe that someone from their own could really be God’s Child. This lack of belief, this lack of faith, was the reason why Jesus did not do a lot of miracles. Yes, Jesus needs our faith.

In the second reading, we see Paul reacting the other way. He had complete faith in Jesus. He was willing to suffer, kahit hirap na hirap na sya, for God. He was willing to take all the hardships just so God would be magnified and glorified. Ganun kalakas ang faith nya kay God, faith that is more than words – faith that is willing to suffer and experience pain for God’s greater glory.

I believe we are challenged by God. We are asked to look at ourselves and see what our heart says. Is our faith strong, or are we like the people who do not trust in God? When we pray, do we really have complete faith in God and his love and power, or do we just pray just in case God hears us? Is our faith strong enough to be willing to suffer for God? When God does not seem to hear us, like his response to Paul’s request in the second reading, do we have a humble heart and will still continue to serve Him, or do we walk away from him when we don’t get what we want?

Father God,
I thank you for the gift of faith. Lord, I ask that you help me strengthen my faith. I know faith is such a powerful and important aspect of my life, and I ask that you help me develop it. Kahit maliit, kahit mala mustard seed, I know it is enough, that it is a good start. May I have faith and may I be willing to suffer and still serve you because of that faith, knowing that your name will be glorified in everything. Amen.

Have a blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...