Monday, July 30, 2012

Stay Close to Jesus


We are reminded today to stay close to Jesus. God reminded us in the first reading that just as a loincloth is useless outside its purpose, we too, if we stay away from God and turn away from him, will be useless. We have nothing to boast of our own – no talents, skills, riches and abilities that God did not give us, whether natural or developed. Is it important to stay close to remain focused on God and remember that He gave us everything, especially when we seem to have accomplished a lot in the terms of the world.

The psalm also shows us that God can turn away his face from his people, even if he loves us so much, if we constantly turn away from him. As human beings, we sometimes forget all the good things God has done for us. Sometimes we forget how he blesses us and how he saves us when we call to him. When things are doing well, we tend to brush him aside and forget him, and in the process, lose our focus on him and start disobeying him.

God’s kingdom may not always be evident in this world. The gospel says that it can be likened to a mustard seed or a yeast. Sometimes we feel that it is so small, in comparison to what the world offers and provides. It may seem powerless against the evil of this world. However the gospel reminds us, that in due time, in God’s perfect time, in Christ’s second coming, we will see the fullness of God’s kingdom. Therefore we should persevere now, even if it is not evident, trusting in faith that everything will be revealed in His perfect time.

How is my relationship with God? Am I close to him? Do I call upon him or do I try to do everything on my own?  Do I call upon him ONLY when I am down and cannot face things on my own? Do I thank Him after each challenge? Do I pray even if things are going smoothly? Do I remain focused on Him and His kingdom, even if the world as we know it may seem powerful right now?

Dear God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for waking me up and giving me another day to live. Lord, I ask that you bless those people greatly affected by the weather. Protect them Lord. May the hard rain and wind not dampen their spirits. Lord, may we be reminded today, the importance of staying close to you, and having the focus on you all the time. Amen.

Have a blessed and safe week!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...