Thursday, July 12, 2012

Gracious God




The readings today remind me that God is such a gracious God, far from a human being.
In the first reading, we can see his love for us even if we constantly reject him. IT must have been so painful for him to be rejected by us, humans he himself created, saved, and loved, but he continues to love us even if we are not deserving of it. Until now this happens – every time we sin, every time we insist our way instead of his, every time we disregard what he teaches us, we continue to hurt him.
The gospel is a continuation of yesterday’s. Jesus gave them instructions on what to do and what not to do. What is striking to note is how Jesus instructs them in relation to people who do not accept them.
Whatever town or village you enter, look for a worthy person in it,
and stay there until you leave.
As you enter a house, wish it peace.
If the house is worthy,
let your peace come upon it;
if not, let your peace return to you.
Whoever will not receive you or listen to your words
go outside that house or town and shake the dust from your feet.
Amen, I say to you, it will be more tolerable
for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment
than for that town."
The same way Jesus came as a baby in a manger, not forcing us to accept him, He is telling his disciples not to force people to accept him. They should do what they were told to, but in the event that people do not listen, they should not lose heart. It is not their fault if other people do not listen. They are not to be dishearten, not to lose focus, and just continue working for God.
IT may seem like Jesus is harsh in the gospel, compared to God being merciful in the first reading. I believe that just as he is gracious, he is also fair. He does everything to reach out to us. He sends people in an attempt to make us believe and follow him. Kaya lang, kung hindi parin tayo makikinig, pasaway na talaga tayo. He can only do so much, As St Augustine said, God who created us without us, cannot save us without us. He does not want to punish us, but if we constantly reject him, we bring it upon ourselves.
Do I realize how gracious God has been to me? Do I thank him for that? Am I willing to accept him in my life? Am I sensitive to him when he comes through other people and circumstances?  Am I ready to go out into the world and work for him?
Dear God,
Thank you for all the blessings you give to me. Lord, I am not worthy of your love, I am not worthy of these blessings, but because you love me so much, you continue to shower me with such. I thank you lord for constantly blessing me and for never giving up on me. Lord, I ask that you help me choose you, and live my life as a testament of that decision. In my own little way, may I bring people to you and proclaim your kingdom. Amen.
Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...