Friday, July 20, 2012

Mercy, not sacrifice

The readings today show us the nature of God as echoed by Jesus in the gospel. I desire mercy, not sacrifice.
In the gospel, the Pharisees chose to see evil in the disciples’ actions. Their hearts are closed and are quick to judge the actions based on their own standards, based on strict observance of the law. Kung hindi ginagawa ng mga Pharisees, kung kontra sa mga batas nila, mali na outright. Jesus told them that he desires mercy, not sacrifice. He chooses to see the goodness in us, he chooses to put more importance on the person rather than the law – for their laws are man-made, but people were made by God.
This does not give us an excuse to break the law. Wag naman maging pilosopo. In another gospel, Jesus DID NOT tell the people NOT to pay taxes to the government. Jesus told them to give to Caesar what is due to Caesar, and to God what is due God. Jesus tells us that more than the superficial observance and adherence of the law, the disposition of a person is more important. Jesus tells us that God is above human law, and working for Him exempts us from following human law, if such conflict arises.
In the first reading, we see how different God is from humans. Compared to the Pharisees in the gospel, God chose to forgive Hezekiah who was about to die, and gave him an additional 15 years in his life. How gracious God is! How merciful God is! Yes, the psalmist says it – You saved my life, Lord; I shall not die! If it were the Pharisees who were to decide and hear Hezekiah’s prayer, how do you think they would react?
God loves us so much and he gives us all the love we need, and all the opportunities to change our ways and follow Him. How merciful and gracious he really is!
Where do I tend to focus, on the positive or on the negative? Am I being too hard on myself, or on others? Am I too strict with the law? What is God telling me today?

Dear God,
I praise and adore you for who you are. I do not deserve your mercy and your grace, but you wholeheartedly give me those. Such a great God I am serving. Thank you for seeing the goodness in me and my actions, and for always giving me a chance to make myself better. Lord, I ask that I also see the goodness in other people and lead them into changing their lives as we serve you. Amen.
God bless!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...