Monday, July 9, 2012

Impossibility


The gospel today is similar to last the July 1 Sunday’s (See reflection: http://mysimplereflection.blogspot.com/2012/07/faith-that-heals.html  ), however, today’s gospel struck me because in Matthew’s version of today’s gospel, the child is already dead (compared to July 1 when she was at the point of death when Jairus went to Jesus). The official in today’s gospel showed a lot more faith in Jesus, coming to him and asking him to come with him to heal his dead daughter.
What faith that it! Call it desperate. Call if blind. Call it stupid. It is real, genuine faith.
The official could have just gone on with his daughter’s death. However, he did not. He fought death. We do not know the reason, it may be because he loves the daughter so much that he was desperate and just needed to believe in someone who could raise his daughter and found that person in Jesus. It could have been his faith, knowing and hearing about Jesus, the Messiah, having faith that his concern could be easily solved by Jesus. What we know is he came to Jesus with something big, something huge, something impossible. He told Jesus that he needed Jesus to bring her dead daughter back to life.
The condition for a miracle is difficulty. The condition for a great miracle is impossibility (Angus Buchan, Faith like Potatoes [Movie])
Again, God proved that what is written in his book is true. Nothing is impossible with God (Matthew 19:26).
He honoured the man’s faith (as opposed to the people in his own town, see reflection: http://mysimplereflection.blogspot.com/2012/07/lack-of-faith.html ) and did what the man believed he could do. Ang galing ng faith ng taong yun. Ang galing talaga ni God.
Tayo, paano? When faced with a seemingly impossible situation, how do we react? Do we let our emotions rule? Do we let the natural world overcome us? Do we let our faith in God win the battle? Do we let God shine the brightest by bringing to him, in faith, the seemingly impossible situation, and allow him to perform a great miracle in our lives?
May we always remember that nothing is impossible with God, and that a seemingly impossible situation is what gives God an opportunity to give us a great miracle.
Dear God,
I praise and thank you for the weekend. Thank you for giving me time, a lot of it, to rest and refresh my body and my spirit. Lord, as I start this new week, I thank you for giving me a good story which shows your power and the need for our faith. Lord, help me to always have that faith in you, especially when things seem impossible and when I seem helpless, because I know that only then will you shine the brightest. May I always allow you to surprise me and may my life and my faith lead others into worshipping you. Amen.
Have a blessed week!
In Christ,
-g-

PS
See related reflection:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...