Sunday, July 1, 2012

Faith that heals


The readings today remind me of something close to my heart – Faith.
In the gospel we see Jesus faced with problems. Jairus came to her to have his daughter healed. They were on their way when a woman came to Jesus and touched his cloak. Jesus asked who touched her, because he knew someone touched him and that power came out of him. Malamang, anak sya ni God, alam nya talaga yun. I believe he also knew who touched her. He just wanted to see if the woman would stand up and be responsible for her actions. During that time kasi, malakas yung social division, may mga slaves and masters, and yung widows and women ay nasa baba ng hierarchy. Pasaway yung babae kasi diretso syang lumapit kay Jesus. She thought she would be punished, still she held up for her actions. Then we see Jesus breaking social barriers and commending her faith. “Daughter, your faith has saved you” Yes, Jesus cannot work miracles without our faith (Matthew 13:58). He goes on further assuring her she did nothing wrong to be healed “Go in peace and be cured of your affliction
On the way to Jairus’ house, they received news that the daughter died already. Well, indeed nothing is impossible for God.  Again, Jesus emphasizes the importance of faith. “Do not be afraid, just have faith” Although it was not explicitly stated that Jairus had faith (except for the fact he asked Jesus to heal his daughter, thus had faith in Jesus), we can see he had faith because Jesus was able to heal his daughter.
God do not want sickness and death. The first reading tells us that. Thus, we should be encouraged and have faith in God’s love and power. Indeed, as the readings yesterday tell us, he heals! And as we are healed, we are encouraged by the second reading to help others as well, to repay God’s goodness to us by helping out others, by sharing God’s blessings to us.
Do not be afraid; just have faith.
God is reminding us to just trust in him – no matter what the situation may be. In this life there will be a lot of challenges, and tough ones at that. No matter what you do, there will always be negative reactions. Jesus is telling us to keep our faith, to focus on Him and to just continue to trust in Him. The enemy cannot prevail over God, so no matter how difficult the situation may be, it is nothing God cannot handle and win over. Yes, nothing is impossible for Him (Matthew 19:26) and he will never give us something we cannot bear through him (1 Corinthians 10:13)
What is my concern right now? What am I praying for? What is something I want to be healed of or want to be freed from? What challenges are there in my life right now? Do I believe that I can go through this, through God’s grace? Do I know that nothing is impossible for God? Do I know that God needs my faith to save me?
May we be reminded on the power of faith in God.
Dear God,
I praise and thank you for your great, redeeming and healing love for me. Thank you for always keeping me safe and watching over me. Lord, I am sorry for the times I take you for granted and for taking your blessings for granted just because I think everyone experiences the same as well. Today, Lord, I ask that you strengthen my faith. May I always trust in you, no matter what the situation may be. I know Lord that nothing is too big or too small for you, and that you will always be there to guide and protect me, even if I cannot feel it sometimes. Use me Lord for your kingdom, and may my faith be a sign of your great love and power to others. Amen.

Have a blessed Sunday!
In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...