Saturday, June 30, 2012

Jesus Heals!


Today’s readings tell us the healing power of Jesus.
The first reading may seem harsh as first. We see the people suffering and children dying. It may seem that God is harsh for doing that to them, or for allowing that to happen. However, it is good to see things from a different perspective. It was their choice, their decision why those things happened to them. They chose to ignore God. They chose to believe in false prophets and their visions. It was as if they did not know God. Their decisions and actions led to those things, so It was not God who was doing that to them, rather them turning away from God.
In the gospel, we see Jesus coming to make things new.
He healed the centurion’s servant without the need to physically touch him. His word was more than enough to heal him. Of course, the faith of the centurion had a lot to do with it as well. He had faith in the power of Jesus’ word, and of course, Jesus rewards his faith. Jesus was even surprised and amazed at his faith, and inspires us to have that faith as well.
We also see Jesus healing other people in the gospel. He healed peter’s mother in law, and the immediately served them after. He healed all who were brought to him – those who were possessed by demons, those who were sick, those who needed healing. He did not turn away anybody.
Jesus comes to heal us too – whatever we may need healing from. It may be physical healing like the people in the gospel. It may be healing from anything that is not of his. It may be emotional, financial or spiritual healing. God is all powerful and all loving that he can and he will give us that healing. We just need to have faith – in his word, in his power, in his love – and humbly come to him and accept his healing.
As we are healed, we should know that it does not end there. Life will not be easier after being healed. There will still be problems, trials, challenges, and temptations. Just because Christ healed us, doesn’t mean life will be a breeze. Given that, we should also work hard after. We should pray more. We should give back to God more, like Peter’s mother in law who immediately served them after being healed. Christ expects effort on our part, and not just rely on Him and not do anything. We should do our best and leave him the rest.
Do I need healing? From what? Do I believe that God can heal me from anything? Do I believe the scriptures that say the “Jesus took away our infirmities and bore our diseases”, and have faith that I just have to trust in him to heal me?  Am I humble enough to come to him for healing? Am I ready to serve him and grow closer to him after experiencing his healing?
May we humbly come to Jesus in faith and ask for healing, and serve him with a grateful and loving heart especially after he gives us healing.
Dear God,
I praise and thank you for who you are. I thank you for your healing, powerful love that you remind me of today. Lord, I ask that you help me identify the areas of my life that need healing. Let me know what you want me to heal, Lord. Help me have that faith and humility to come to you for healing, and as you heal me, may I find it in my heart to wait on you, as a grateful and humble servant who experienced his master’s healing love. Amen.
Have a restful weekend!
God bless!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...