Sunday, June 3, 2012

Equipped for the task


The gospel this Sunday struck me.. they doubted…

When they all saw him, they worshiped, but they doubted.
The disciples worshipped, but they doubted. They had a lot of things in their head. They were just told that Jesus has risen and will meet them there. Yes, they went to the mountain, but was uncertain of what they would see, if Jesus has indeed risen. Then when they saw him, they worshipped but doubted.

It is interesting to know how Jesus responded. Hindi nya sila pinagalitan. He did not say, hello, why are you doubting? Touch me! Do you not have faith?! Instead, he gave positive reinforcement. He told them who he was and what he wants them to do.

Then Jesus approached and said to them,
"All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations,
baptizing them in the name of the Father,
and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit,
teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.
And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age."

He reminded them who he was. He has all the power  in heaven and on earth (kung di ka pa matuwa na ganun ang bossing mo, ewan ko nalang!). He wants them to know and remember how great a God they are serving – how powerful God really is.

Then he gave them the task.

Knowing that his disciples doubted, Jesus still gave them the task of proclaiming and spreading the Kingdom. How much faith he had in us, much more than we have in ourselves!

You know why? It was not because he knew the disciples were going to change. It was not because he knew he prepared them well. It was not because he knew peter was a strong leader.

He had much faith in us because He is with us. Because the Holy Spirit is with us. O, diba?! Bakit ka pa kakabahan? It is normal to be afraid. It is normal to doubt or question from time to time. However, God sends us everything we need. Yes, we have problems, concerns and issues, but we have something greater than all of these. The gospel says we have Jesus. He himself told us, he will be with us until the end. He also sent the holy spirit. There’s no reason to fear or worry, because God is sending us everything we need to proclaim his kingdom.

Do I feel what the disciples felt? Am I doubting God? Am I doubting his love? Am I doubting His plans for me and my future? Am I doubting my talents and skills? God is saying that He is with me until the end of age, take comfort in that. No matter how unworthy, unloved or unprepared you think you are, Jesus is telling you that it’s okay. We should just allow him to use us. We should just surrender ourselves to him and allow him to use us mightily. We should just allow him to equip us. We should just have faith that indeed, he will be with us until the end of age.

May we always remember that even if we doubt, God still loves us and will still use us mightily if we let Him. Let us have faith that he will be with us until the end of age.

Dear God
Thank you for loving me. Thank you for seeing the goodness in me. Thank you for dying and rising up for me. I ask Lord that whatever concerns I may have, that I just lift them up to you in full faith. Help me have that faith that will trust in you no matter what. Help me allow you to work through me and use me to proclaim your kingdom. May I always remember that you love me so much, and that you are always with me no matter what. Amen.

Stay Blessed!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...