Friday, June 22, 2012

What is important


The readings today remind us what is important.
Being a guy, I believe that financial stability is important. Being the eldest and only guy just makes really important.
It is easy to be lost in the world in search of financial stability. The intention may be good – to be able to help out in the family more, to be able to help the less fortunate more, to be able to provide for the future family, etc. However, sometimes we make financial stability the end goal and not one of the means to the goal. Sometimes in our desire to help out more, we become too focused on work and financial stability that we lose touch with the very people that we want to help.
Jesus is telling us in today’s gospel that we should always put things in perspective. We won’t live in this earth forever, so we should not store earthly riches, rather, heavenly ones.
Money can be stolen, fame can easily be gone in a second, and properties can easily be burned and will eventually decay. Nothing is permanent in this world. Nothing will last, and we cannot bring anything when we die. That’s the truth.
Although material wealth is necessary to live, we should not live just for it. We do not need a lot to help other people. Like Jesus said in one parable, the widow with two cents gave the most. What matters is our hearts as we give to the poor.  They also say that we cannot really achieve financial stability. As human beings, we are never contented with what we have. We will always be wanting more, that’s why being focused on this will make us lost in our lives – like Athaliah in the first reading who did evil things for money and power.
God wants us to focus on Him, God wants us to store heavenly treasure while we are on earth. That’s true wealth, something that we will be using for eternity. God wants our hearts as we live life on earth. God wants us to focus our eyes on Him, and prepare for eternity with Him.
What is important to me? Am I too focused on worldly wealth that I tend to reject preparing and accumulating heavenly wealth? Am I waiting to be financially stable before I help other people? What does God want to tell me today?
May we live each day knowing that everything in this world is temporary, and that we should prepare for eternity with God.
Prayer:
Dear God,
Thank you for reminding me today what is important. Thank you for assuring me that as long as I put you first, you will take care of me. Lord, help me always remember this and put things in perspective as I live my life. May I see earthly wealth as one of the means to further your kingdom on earth and not my goal in life. May I always be detached from material things as I work and prepare for eternity. Amen.
God bless!
In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...