Thursday, June 7, 2012

How Do I Love?


In the gospel today, Jesus tells us the two greatest commandments.

First and greatest is acknowledging that God is the one true God, and loving him the way he should be loved. How do we love him? With everything we’ve got – with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. Lahat na. God asks us to love him with everything we are – with our whole being. Then this love should extend to others as well. Second is to love the neighbour as yourself.

God’s ways are not our ways, and God’s standards are not our standards. Agree?

Our standards for loving are different with God’s. As human beings, we think we love, but sometimes we are just reciprocating. We love people who love us and treat us good. However, God wants more than that. He wants us to love our enemies. Ang labo diba? Kaaway nga eh. But that’s God’s standards. He wants us to give all our being to him – that includes everything we are and everything we are not. That includes our desires and human limitations. He wants us to give it to him, to offer those things to him, and receive what he wants to give to us. He wants us to love other people the way he loves – unconditional.

We need to be humble to be able to love as God wants us to, because we cannot do this by ourselves. St Paul in the first reading was humble enough to accept that God allow that he suffer for His cause. Paul did not question God why he was captured and put to chains. The focus was not on himself – but on God. He knows that the word of God cannot be chained and physical chains cannot stop God’s work through him. We have to be humble and accept God’s plans for us, and have faith that even if things are not easy, God’s work cannot be stopped by the enemy, we just have to continue working for Him.

Examine your life. What things are you doing your way? Are there things you are doing God’s ways? How can I slowly change my attitude to reflect more and more of God? Do I pray that God teach me how he wants me to live and love?

Prayer:
Father God,
I love you. In my own little way, I love you. I am sorry for not being able to do what you want me to and what you ask of me. But father God, you know deep down in my heart that I do love you. Kahit minsan, or madalas, pasaway ako, alam mong mahal kita. Lord, I ask that you help me love you the way you want to be loved, and the way you ought to be loved. May I always be humble and accept your will in my life, and seek your ways, not mine. Amen.

May we humbly pray with the psalmist – Teach me your ways, o Lord.

God bless!

In Christ,
-g-



No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...