Thursday, June 28, 2012

Built on a rock


The gospel today reminds us how important a strong foundation is.
I am currently undergoing a technical training, and one of the things our instructor teaches us is the importance of having a strong and solid foundation. In technology, the applications are rapidly changing. The demands of work are constantly changing. It is impossible to always be in the know in terms of the latest developments in technology. However, having a strong foundation will make you confident whatever situation you are faced with. No matter what the requirements are, even if you do not readily know how to go about the implementation, having a strong basic foundation will enable you to know what you need to research and work on to be able to deliver the requirements. Thus, having a strong basic foundation is very important.
I believe this is true – in life and in faith.
Jesus reminds us how important having a strong foundation is. Life on earth is temporary. Yes, it may be enjoyable because it appeals to our worldly concerns. However, nothing in this world will last forever, therefore we should not build our foundation on these things. We should not build our foundation on earthly riches and power, because all these can be taken away in a second –  these things away from us, or us away from these things and into eternity.
Only Jesus gives us a strong foundation. Only he is the rock on which we should build our house.
Building on Jesus may not seem interesting at first. He may not give us the desires of this world. He may not give us money, power or fame. However, he gives us much more than that. He gives us something we can take into eternity. He gives us something to hold on to when things around us crumble and fall. He gives us life to the fullest through his redeeming love.
Where am I building my life upon? Do I see the importance of building it on Christ’s strong foundation, or am I enticed with what the world has to offer? How can I strengthen the foundations of my faith?
May we remember to build our foundation in Christ, the only rock we could rely on.
Father God,
Thank you for being my rock. Thank you for giving me strength during the most trying times of my life. Thank you for being constant in my life. Lord, help me build my faith and my life around you and not on any other thing. I know that this world easily entices me, and I ask that you keep me focused on you as I live my life on earth. May I build a strong foundation in you, so that with it, I can withstand whatever the world will send my way. Amen.
Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

ps
see related reflection:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...