Thursday, June 14, 2012

Persistent Faith


The first reading today continues the story of Elijah yesterday.

We see again Elijah’s great faith in God.

In today’s reading, Elijah had faith in God’s power that he told king Ahab that a heavy rain is approaching. This was the time that there was famine in the land, so for him to say there would be heavy rain is such a bold statement – a statement that could only be made with someone who has great faith.

Elijah prayed to God. His posture, putting his head between his knees, is a sign of how intense and how surrendering his prayer was. Syempre naman, sabihan mo ba naman ang hari na may malakas na ulan e, kung di ka magdasal ng ganun.

What’s inspiring about Elijah is his persistent faith.  As compared to the previous story, wherein God immediately sent fire to consume the offering, now we see God being initially quiet. Walang ulan. Hindi madilim. When Elijah sent his servant to check, the servant said – nothing. However, this did not dampen Elijah’s spirit. He did not say, “Lord, diba close tayo? Bakit mo naman ako papahiyain?” Instead, he was persistent in prayer, unwavering in faith. He knew God would listen to him.

Siguro nakukulitan na yung servant. He looked  six times na wala parn talaga. Siguro iniisip nya, wala pala to, mahina si Elijah, ang kulit pa. Sabi nang wala eh. However, Elijah’s faith in God made the servant see something great. On the seventh try, he saw a small cloud.

Boom!

That was more than enough for Elijah. That was the mustard seed that would grow into a huge tree. That was the start of great things from God. He knew that it was God’s answer to his call. He had faith that the small cloud was the start of heavy rain… and God did not disappoint him.

We can have Elijah’s faith if we are close to Jesus. However, in the gospel, Jesus tells us that we cannot truly worship him, that we cannot really develop an intimate relationship with God if we have issues – specifically anger towards others.

Anger is not inherently bad. Jesus was angry at the people who made his father’s house a den of thieves. Elijah in yesterday’s reading, was angry at the people for not making the decision. Ok lang yun. What’s bad is if it leads us to sin. What’s bad is if anger makes us hate the person, not the act of the person. We cannot fully worship God and claim to love him if we cannot love others as well.

Do I find Elijah’s faith inspiring? Why? Why not? What can I do to improve my faith? When God does not seem to answer my prayers, what do I do? Do I stop and think that God is not listening, or am I like Elijah who is persistent in faith? Is there someone I need to forgive from my heart? Is anger residing in my heart?

May we be inspired by Elijah’s faith and work to live our lives building that faith while truly praising God.

Dear God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for reminding me that even if you don’t immediately answer, it doesn’t mean you won’t give me what I pray for. Lord, I ask that you help me build my faith. May I be like Elijah that has full faith in you even if you seem to be silent. As I live my life, help me build that faith, and help me release anger in my heart that is preventing me from fully worshipping you. Amen.

God bless!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...