Monday, June 11, 2012

Encouragement

Today we celebrate the feast of St Barnabas, and the first reading tells us something about him.
St Barnabas’ real name is Joseph, but was later called Barnabas, which means son of encouragement.
He is a real encourager, and he sees the goodness in people.
In the bible, it was Barnabas who saw the goodness of Paul’s heart. After his conversion, the people were afraid of Paul and suspicious of his intentions, and they had great reason to, because before his conversion, Saul was a fierce persecutor of Christians, and was even there when St Stephen was martyred. However, Barnabas was willing to give him a second chance, he saw the goodness in Paul’s heart, and introduced and welcomed Paul to the community.
In another occasion, Paul, Barnabas and Mark went on a missionary journey, however Mark turned back in the middle of the trip. After that, they were again set to go on another journey, and Paul did not want to take Mark because of how he acted before. However, Barnabas gave him a second chance and took Mark with him.
Seeing the goodness and encouraging others can do a lot to them.
Mark responded well to the encouragement and trust given by Barnabas. Paul eventually referred to Mark as a valuable assistant. On the other hand because of Barnabas’ encouragement to Paul, he was able to do a lot of great things. We all knew what St Paul has done to spread God’s kingdom.
How can we encourage people in the faith?
The first reading tells us some of Barnabas’ characteristics – rejoicing (and not getting jealous) on the grace of God on others, a good man – filled with the Holy Spirit and faith. We can have these things too. We can be a good person if we imitate Christ. We will be filled with the Holy Spirit if we work on our relationship with Christ. Our faith will increase if we communicate with God and build an intimate relationship with Him. Yes, all these things are doable through prayer, scripture reading, and building a personal and intimate relationship with God.
What do I think about encouragement? Do I find it necessary? Do I encourage others and see the goodness in them, or do I do the opposite? Am I willing and happy to encourage others, even if they do greater things than me?
May we work to develop in us the gift of encouragement, and be happy to build God’s kingdom by encouraging other people.
Prayer:
Father God,
Thank you for reminding me the beauty and power of encouragement as I start another week. Lord, sometimes I fail to see the importance of encouragement. Sometimes, though my words and actions, I put others down instead of encouraging them. Sometimes, I underestimate encouragement. Lord, may I always see the importance of encouragement in building your kingdom. Help my build my faith that will enable me to be an encourager for your kingdom. Like Saint Barnabas to St Paul, may I be truly happy when people I encourage reach greater heights than I, because I know that as long as we work for your kingdom, nothing is too big or too little a contribution. I know that whatever little I think I can give, you will magnify so that your name would be glorified. Amen.

Have a blessed week!

In Christ,
-g-
PS
See a short story on the power of words of encouragement and seeing the goodness in others:
In the early 1900's, in the small village of Podsreda, Croatia, an altar
boy named Josip Broz was serving the priest at Sunday mass. As he was
holding the wine cruet, it accidentally dropped and shattered. The village
priest struck the altar boy sharply on the cheek and in a gruff voice shouted:
"Leave the altar and don't come back!" Crushed, Josip left the church and by
the time he was eighteen, he joined the newly formed Croatian Social Democratic
Party. During World War II, Josip changed his name to Marshal Tito and in
1945 Tito became the communist dictator of Yugoslavia.

There was another altar boy in the early 1900's named John who grew up in El
Paso, Illinois. He too was serving Sunday mass to a bishop when a wine cruet
accidentally fell from his hand during communion. With a warm twinkle in his
eyes the bishop gently whispered: "Someday you will be a priest." John took
that lesson of forgiveness and hope to heart. John not only grew up to become
a priest, but Archbishop John Fulton Sheen was one of the most captivating
radio preachers and influential religious authors in America.

What power we have when we say the right word at the right time. Are your words
"Apples of Gold"? Today in prayer, thank Christ for His example of aptly
spoken words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...