Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The narrow gate

Kaboom!
This is a usual expression when one sinks a basketball, especially a three point shot or a crucial shot.
The gospel today reminds me of that, a basketball going inside the ring.
What makes the game exciting is that it’s not that easy to do. It would have been easier if the goal was just to hit the board, or to hit the ring without necessarily sinking the ball to the ring. However, the game’s not like that. Players do their best to put the ball inside the ring, and that’s what makes it challenging and exciting – kasi mahirap sya. You need to invest time and it takes a lot of practice, perseverance and patience to keep getting used to it, to be better.
Jesus teaches us that doing good is like that. Mahirap sya. Mas madali gumawa ng masama. Mas madali maging pasaway. Mas masaya maging pasaway. Pero parang basketball, walang score kay God yung tatama lang sa board. We earn points by doing what is hard, and we can be better at it if we practice and persevere. Kaya naman eh, kailangan lang seryosohin.
In the first reading, we see a king doing what is right. When threatened by the king of Assyria, Hezekiah did what is right. He trusted in God. Ang hirap nun. It must have been easier to send envoys to make peace or to surrender to avoid bloodshed and war. IT must have been easier to gather as much people he had to fight the enemy. However, he did what is right and what is hard. He got down on his knees and prayed to God. Mahirap, but it scored points for God, it won the game.
Do I choose the narrow path, or am I too tired or too busy to do so? What does God want me to do in my life? What decisions does he want me to take, especially those hard ones? What is preventing me from following the narrow path?
May we live our lives following the narrow path towards God’s kingdom.
Dear God,
Thank you for today. I praise and thank you that even if you are the all powerful and almighty God, you still choose to go down to our level and meet us where we are. Lord, may I choose the right path, however hard it is to take, and be patient, knowing you will meet me when I continue doing such. I know that you will reward me for doing your will, and I have faith in your love and power over everything. This I ask in Jesus name, Amen.
Stay blessed!
In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...