Wednesday, June 6, 2012

God of the Living


The gospel today again presents us with people trying to trap and make fun of Jesus. The Sadducees, who do not believe in the resurrection, presents Jesus with a hypothetical scenario. They want to prove a point that there really is no resurrection, as opposed to what Jesus was saying. They wanted to prove that there could possibly be no resurrection where a woman will be wife of seven men, because based on the law, she married seven men and died childless. Jesus tells them upfront that they are misled. They did not understand the resurrection. It is NOT a continuation of life on earth. In the resurrection, we will be like angels.

Jesus emphasizes that God is a God of the living, not of the dead. It was custom belief that time that immortality was connected with the existence of the physical body. Thus, they did not believe that the patriarchs, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob still exist or are immortal. Jesus quotes the Scripture – I AM the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Present and living God. God did not say I WAS the God. I AM the God means HE is still alive, that he is the same God who guided Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, and because of their relationship with Him, they are immortal as they live one with the living God.

The first reading tells us to bear our share of hardship for the Gospel. Yes, again, God is reminding us that it is not easy serving Him. However, the living, present and powerful God gives us what we need to serve Him. He gives us power, love and self-control. He gives us strength to face hardships.

We are asked to live a holy life not according to our standards and through our efforts, but through the grace of God. As we remember to live a life based on God’s grace, we will remember to give him back all the honor, glory and praise. We strengthen our faith not for our benefit, but for God’s work and his people, as we allow ourselves to be used by God to proclaim his kingdom.

Do I believe that God is living and present here in this world? Am I living my life like he is present and living in me?  Do I always focus on Him, his love and power, as I work to give him glory and serve Him? How can I make God more alive and living to the people I interact with?

Prayer:
Dear God,
Thank you that you are a living God. Thank you that you are always with me during times of troubles and persecution. Help me remember that especially when times are tough, you are there with me even if I don’t always feel it. May I always have that faith in you, and live my life in honor and glory of you – the one true living God. Amen.

Let us think of a way we can make God more alive through us today!

God bless!

In Christ,
-g-


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...