Sunday, July 22, 2012

Rest

The readings today talk about God taking care of us, his sheep. Yes, he is the one true shepherd.
In the first reading, we can see him bringing justice. He warns that he will bring justice to his shepherds who mislead the flock. Not all people are given the task of taking care of God’s people, and it is one big task and should be taken seriously. Those who are not responding to this call of God, and instead of bringing God’s people to Him, scatter them, will be punished. However, more than this, God promises to take care of his sheep, gather them and take care of them, and give them new shepherds to take good care of them.
Kung shepherd ka, in one way or another, at pasaway ka na naaapektuhan yung mga alaga mo.yari ka kay God. At kung pasaway naman ang shepherd mo, wag ka mag alala, si God ang bahala sayo.
The second reading shows us Jesus being the Shepherd God sent. He came to sacrifice himself to bring us back to God, the Father. God is really true to his word to take care of us. In the gospel we can see that even if he had no intention to do so, he taught the people to quench their thirst – because his heart was moved for them. He became a shepherd and took care of the sheep.
Yes, that was the theme of the readings, but what struck me was something else. Thus the title.
We can see that in the gospel, after working for God and doing his work, the disciples met with Jesus and reported all they had done. Then Jesus told them to rest.
The apostles gathered together with Jesus
and reported all they had done and taught.
He said to them,
"Come away by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while."
People were coming and going in great numbers,
and they had no opportunity even to eat.
Yes, even Jesus rested. He wants us to rest too. Even if what we do is for his kingdom, he wants us to rest. Tao din tayo. We need to rest physically, but more importantly, spiritually. We need this so we could continue serving Him and not be burned out. We need to be well rested so we can give our best to God.
Do I give importance to resting and re charging, not just my physical body, but more importantly my spirit? Am I being a good shepherd to others? When faced with challenges from people around me, do I trust in God to take care of me and come to my rescue?
Dear God,
Thank you for this day. Thank you for your assuring word that tells me to be still and have faith in you. I know that you are always watching over us, even if sometimes we may not feel like it. Thank you for letting me know that you will take care of me and will send people to guide me. Lord, may I make the most of this day. May I rest, not only spiritually, but also spiritually, so I can better serve you in the coming week. Amen.
Blessed Sunday!
In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...