Monday, July 16, 2012

Magka alaman na!


The readings today remind us that God knows what is inside of us. God knows what is in our hearts, even if, and especially if these things are not consistent with what we seem to portray by our actions.
It is easy to portray yourself being a good person. It is easy to build an image of yourself. Mabait. Madasalin. Matulungin. People do not see you 24 hours a day, so the image is based only on the times they see you. You can even portray yourself in different ways to different kinds of people. However, God sees more than that. God sees what the eyes cannot. God sees way past the image. God sees the character.
What’s the difference?
They say that an image, or reputation, is what other people think of you. It is how they see you based on what you do in front of them. However, your character is what you do, how you act, when you are alone in the dark and no one can see you…only God.
In the first reading, God sees the character of the people. He sees what is in their hearts. Yes, they offer to God, they sacrifice, they pray, they celebrate. All of these are nonsense to God! Why? Because they are doing evil and they are not doing what God commands them to.
The psalmist compliments this. God looks way past beyond the sacrifices and offerings, and sees what is in the heart of the people.
Magkaalaman na.
The gospel says that Jesus came to divide. This division is not war. Hindi sya misunderstanding. This division is between those who are really followers of Christ and those who are not. Whoever loves other people more than God, whoever loves his life more than God, whoever loves himself more than God is definitely not worthy of God, definitely not a follower of God. If we are not willing to step out of our comfort zone and go the extra mile for him, wala tayong pinag kaiba sa mga tao sa first reading, people who only do what is comfortable for them, people who seem to love God with their actions, but not in their hearts.
God sees what is inside of us. He sees what is in our hearts. There is not use hiding our feelings and thoughts from him. We may be able to hide them from people, but definitely not from God.
Are my actions consistent with what is in my heart? Am I more worried and concerned with my image or reputation rather than my character? Do I realize that God sees what is inside of me, and knows my heart? IS my heart for him? Am I willing to go out of my comfort zone and go the extra mile for him?
Dear God,
Thank you for the weekend. Thank you for giving me a renewed spirit, a renewed look in things. Lord, as you remind me today that you see everything, I ask that you help me change my heart. May my heart always beat for you, and may my actions always be consistent with what is in my heart. Amen.
Have a blessed week!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...