Friday, July 6, 2012

Will you get up?


In today’s gospel, we see Jesus calling Matthew, the tax collector. It was just an ordinary day for Matthew. He was just sitting there, doing his normal job. Suddenly, Jesus drops by and calls him. He simply said “Follow me”, and that was more than enough for Matthew to leave everything behind to follow Jesus.

I believe Jesus also visits us everyday. Probably not as explicit as his visit to Matthew, but Jesus uses people around us to remind us of his presence. He uses people to ask us to follow him – to leave our worldly life with all its concerns and follow Him. He asks us to leave that bad habit we can’t seem to let go of, and fully follow Him. He asks us to get out of the harmful relationship and follow him without something heavy burdening us. He asks us to leave the concerns of this world – money, fame, power, and follow Him, trust in Him to provide for everything we need. He disturbs us, he asks us to step out of our comfort zones and follow him.

Am I sensitive enough to recognize when Jesus comes and ask me to follow Him? Like Matthew who was just waiting for Jesus’ call, am I ready to respond to him when he calls me? Am I ready to get up and get out of my comfort zone to follow Him? How can I follow God? Is there anything, or anyone, that I should let go before I can fully follow Christ?

May we be inspired by Matthew, who certainly knew what the first reading and the psalm meant – Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes out from the mouth of God.

Dear God,
Thank you for this day. Thank you for not giving up on me, kahit na makulit ako, kahit na hindi kita pinapansin. Lord, I ask that today, I be extra sensitive to you when you come visit me through other people or circumstances. Lord, sana mapansin ko na ikaw yun. And Lord, may I have the heart of Matthew that will readily leave everything behind and follow you when you call. Amen.

Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...