Friday, May 4, 2012

Do not worry. Have Faith.




I personally like readings which talk about faith in God and his assurance for us – because at the end of the day, when things look gloomy and hopeless, it is only our faith in God that would get us through the dark night.

The gospel today remind us of this faith, and of God’s assurance. We see Jesus telling his friends:

"Do not let your hearts be troubled.
You have faith in God; have faith also in me

Do not worry. Have faith. Short but very powerful words from Jesus himself. Let us imagine Jesus telling us these words as we face life’s challenges. Jesus told these words to his disciples during the last supper. He told them he would die, that he would suffer, that he would be betrayed. Imagine how the disciples must have felt. Their leader for years will soon die a humiliating death. What would happen to them? Who would guide and protect them? These probably were some of the questions going on in their minds.

In our lives, we face challenges everyday. Some may not be as painful or hard as others, but we should take comfort in Jesus’ words. He is asking us to have faith in Him, the Son of God. Faith that knows he will take care of us. Faith that submits ourselves to his divine will. Faith that allows us to die of ourselves so that he may live in us. Faith that would be the source of inner peace, knowing He is in control. Faith.

What is troubling my heart now?  Why?  Are the challenges I am facing bigger than God? Am I letting them block my view of God? Why can I not focus on God, his power and his love for me? How can I improve my faith in God? Am I praying to God to help me strengthen my faith?

May we always remember Christ’s words. Do not worry. Have faith. Let us remember who is saying this to us, as the first reading and psalm says – “You are my Son, this day I have begotten you” The only Son of God tells us this. Do not worry. Have faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...