Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Stay in the world, but not of it


The readings today tell us again that it will not be easy doing God’s work.

In the first reading, Paul tells the people that “savage wolves will come among you and they will not spare the flock.”  As if that is not enough, he further says that “from your own group, men will come perverting the truth to draw disciples away from them” Again, we are warned that serving God will not be a walk in the park.

In the gospel, Jesus himself tells us that “the world hated them because they do not belong to the world.” In as much as Jesus was not of the world, that he did not belong to the world, that his kingdom is not of this world, we too do not belong to the world, thus we won’t be treated well by the world.

Did this mean that we should live lives separated from the evil world?

Not necessarily

God calls each one of us differently

He calls most of us to stay in the world, but not of it. He says in the gospel:

I do not ask that you take them out of the world
but that you keep them from the Evil One

Yes, Jesus did not pray that we be spared from the trials and problems. He did not pray that we be taken out of the evil one. Jesus prayed that God protect us from the enemy. If we would live out of this world, if we would seclude ourselves, who will work for Him? Who will proclaim his kingdom? Who will glorify him? Who will he use to touch the lives of others? We are called to live in the world, but not of it. We should continue to live and work for God, trusting in faith that God will keep us from the enemy.

What does living in the world mean for me? What is living of the world? Looking at my life right now, am I living IN the world or OF the world? What can I do to remain focused on Jesus’ command of living In the world but not of the world?

Dear God,
I thank you for your word today. I thank you for reminding me what you want me to do and how you want me to live my life. Father God, right not I have a lot of concerns – health of my family, career, and other things… but Lord, I have full faith that you would take care of everything as I serve you, as I live for you. Father God, I ask that you help me remain focused in serving you. I ask that you help me live my life in praise, honor and glory of you. Lord, help me live in the world enough that I can love and serve you, and make your love alive, but always remind me to not live of the world, to not be distracted and deceived by all the worldly pleasures it may give me. All this I ask in faith in Jesus name. Amen.

Stay focused on God!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...