Sunday, May 20, 2012

Ascension 2012

As we celebrate the Solemnity of Christ’s Ascension, the readings show us the power of God, how Christ really is the Son of God. Astig!

The first reading tells us how Christ was taken up into heaven.

When he had said this, as they were looking on,
he was lifted up, and a cloud took him from their sight.

And the gospel also tells another version, though a less descriptive one

So then the Lord Jesus, after he spoke to them,
was taken up into heaven
and took his seat at the right hand of God.

It is interesting to note that the last thing he said to his disciples before ascending into heaven was to go out to the world. The readings tell us that.

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you,
and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem,
throughout Judea and Samaria,
and to the ends of the earth."
Go into the whole world
and proclaim the gospel to every creature.

As Jesus commands us to proclaim the gospel, he also says he will equip us. He sent the holy spirit to the disciples (as also seen in the second reading) and up to now, he still continues to send the holy spirit to us as we proclaim his gospel, as we proclaim his kingdom. In the same way he gave the disciples what they needed, he still gives us what we need to serve him. He provides.

Question is, are we obeying his commandment? Are we proclaiming his kingdom?

God has blessed us so we can be a blessing to others. He made us feel his love and the joy and peace that come with it so we may also share it with others. He gave us his forgiveness so we could extend that to others as well. He loved us so we could love others.

We do not necessarily need to be like the disciples to proclaim God’s kingdom. That was what was needed before, so they did just that. They drove out demons, healed the sick, preached to different places. God needs us to proclaim his kingdom where we are right now. No matter what you do, no matter where you are, we are called to proclaim God’s kingdom. The second reading tells us:

And he gave some as apostles, others as prophets,
others as evangelists, others as pastors and teachers,
to equip the holy ones for the work of ministry,
for building up the body of Christ,

Yes, kahit ano pa ang ginagawa mo, game yan! We just need to obey and have faith in God. We do not need to go elsewhere. Let’s start with our family, our relatives, our friends, our officemates. Let’s start.

Dear God,
Thank you for today. Thank you for all the blessings. Thank you for my family. Lord, may I serve you the way you want me to. Help me have the heart that listens and obeys you. Help me trust in faith that you will equip me as I do your work. Help me start proclaiming your kingdom wherever I am. I know that it is not me, but it will be you who would be working through me to proclaim your kingdom. May I be a vessel of your love and your power in my own little way. This I ask through the mighty name of Jesus. Amen

Have a blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-





No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...