Thursday, May 24, 2012

Pure service out of love


In today’s first reading, we see Paul standing before the Sadducees and Pharisees. It became so serious that the commander sent his troops to save Paul from being torn to pieces. Imagine how chaotic that must have been. Indeed, Paul’s discernment that he will encounter hardships is true. Paul must have felt a relief being pulled away by the soldiers, but God told him something else…

The following night the Lord stood by him and said, "Take courage.
For just as you have borne witness to
my cause in Jerusalem,
so you must also bear witness in Rome

God did not spare him from the pains and hurts. God did not say “I will take you away from them and I will save you because you have been doing my work.” God did not say kawawa ka naman, bibigyan nga kita ng reward. Instead, God told him to take courage. Hindi pa tapos. Meron pang iba.

Scary?

Probably.

But I think Saint Paul was just too glad to be suffering for Christ. I believe Saint Paul was too happy to be afraid.

Why?

Because he was glorifying God.

He said in different letters that He was happy to suffer for Christ (Colossians 1:24) and that he will boast of his weakness, because is it when he is weak that Christ’s power is made perfect, that Christ is glorified (2 Cor 12:9 and 2 Cor 11:30)

This is such an inspiring attitude. Something we should aspire to have. Paul, aside from his willingness to suffer for Christ, does not have a sense of entitlement. He did not feel entitled to God’s blessings just because he has been working hard to proclaim his kingdom. He did not say, Lord, konting tulong naman jan, anyway, ilang taon na akong nagta trabaho para sayo. Ibalato mo na to sakin – ill preach your word, wag mo lang akong pahirapan. Nothing like that from St Paul. He willingly preached God’s word, and willingly suffered after. All for God.

Tayo din ba?

Are we willing to suffer for God, or are we just there during the happy times, the fun times? Do we have a sense of entitlement? Do we feel God owes it to us to give us our wants, just because we’re serving him, just because we feel we are doing good? Do we get annoyed or mad at him when we don’t get what we pray for, even after we’ve sacrificed for him, even after we’ve done things for him? Do we bargain with God?

May we be inspired by Saint Paul to just work for God, not expecting anything in this world, simply because we love God, and we know in faith that in the life after this, we will be rewarded accordingly.

Prayer:
Dear God,
Thank you for giving me an example through St Paul. I thank you for letting me know that St Paul, a man like me, is capable of loving and serving you in that way. I thank you for telling me, and believing, that I too can serve the way St Paul did. Lord, please cleanse me from anything that is not of you as I serve you. May I always put my focus on you as I live my life and as I serve you through my life. All this I ask in Jesus name, Amen.

God bless!

In Christ,
-g-

See related reflections:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...