Monday, May 28, 2012

Good Teacher, what must I do?


The gospel today shows us a man asking Jesus.. “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life…” Jesus tells him the basics – follow the commandments. Then when the man says he’s been doing those things, Jesus says something harder for him.: Go, sell what you have, and give to the poor and you will have treasure in heaven; then come, follow me."

We can see by his answer that the man is looking for something. The man knows he must do something else. When Jesus said he must follow the commandments, which he already does, he knew he must do something else. Alam nya, kasi hindi nya sinabing “yey, ok na ako, thanks!.” Jesus also saw what the man needed to do. He looked at the man with love, and told him what he needs to do. Yes, he loved the man, kahit na alam ni Jesus na hindi pa ready yung tao to give up everything for him.

It is not easy following God. We see in the first reading that St Peter tells us we might have to suffer and our faith would be tested by fire. It is not easy to give up everything of this world and follow Christ. It is not easy spending hours for him. It is not easy living a Christ centered life when the world does otherwise.

Jesus is not telling us getting rich is bad. Jesus is not telling us material wealth is bad. OF course it is nice to be rich – especially if you would share your blessings to those who need it. What’s bad is the attachment to material things – money, power, fame, etc. IT is dangerous if accumulating such becomes the goal in life – when these things become the gods ruling our lives, and we lose sight of eternity with God. And Jesus says that it will be very hard for us to remain focused on God, on eternity, if we do it on ourselves. “For men, it is impossible, but not for God.” This is why we should always pray to God to help us focus on Him as we live our lives here on earth.

What am I clinging on right now? Do I want to follow God and have eternal life? What is preventing me from fully following God? Material things? A bad habit? An unhealthy relationship? Do I feel that I cannot let go of these things? Do I believe in God when he says he loves me, like he loved the man in the gospel? Do I believe what Jesus said, that for man it is impossible, but not with God? Do I pray to God to give me the desire to let go, and ask him to help me all the way?

May we pray that God help us and grant us the desire to follow him and let go of anything that is preventing us from fully following Him.

Father God,
Thank you for the weekend. Thank you for this new week you gave me. Thank you for the gospel that reminds me that you love me and you want me to be saved. Lord, I ask that you help me have the desire in my heart – to follow you and to rid myself of anything that is hindering me from fully following you. I pray for faith – in you, your love, and your power in my life. May I live this week aware of what I should do to glorify you. This I ask in Jesus name, Amen.

Have a blessed week!

In Christ,
-g-

PS
See related reflections

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...