Thursday, May 31, 2012

He visits us too


Today, we celebrate the feast of Mama Mary’s Visitation. The gospel today recounts her visit to her cousin Elizabeth.

After being told by the angel Gabriel that she would be the earthly mother of Jesus, the Son of God, Mary went to visit her cousin Elizabeth. Imagine how simple, humble and selfless Mama Mary is! Instead of taking care of her own needs or asking others to take care of her because she’s carrying inside her the Son of God, she herself travelled to visit her cousin Elizabeth.

Elizabeth recognized how blessed Mama Mary is. John, the baby in Elizabeth’s womb recognized it too! They recognized God visiting them, not as a glorious and powerful king, but as a simple woman in Mary.

God visits us too! Yes, everyday!

However,  is like a secret agent not revealing himself in the way we expect him to be.  Like Mary visiting her cousin, God visits us through people arund us – people that we know, people who annoy us, people who we see and interact with. Although Jesus said that he is in the small and the weak (see Matthew 25:34), he does not always come in the form of the needy in society. Sometimes, he visits us through a friend who gives us support when we least expect it, from an annoying person who suddenly shows concern for us or from someone who gives us that much needed nudge to wake us up and remind us we’re going away from God already.

God visits us in such unexpected ways, and we should always be sensitive to Him.

In as much as God uses other people to visit us, do you think God uses you to visit other people as well?

Mary’s presence was God’s visitation to Elizabeth, and we too would be used by God to touch other people’s lives, if we let him do so. In living a life centered on him and focused on Him, we give him the opportunity to use us, knowingly or unknowingly, to bless other people and make them feel God’s love. Challenge is, when we are made aware of it, we be humble like Mary, who did not take credit for it, but proclaimed how great God is and magnified the Lord.

Do I believe that God visits me everyday? Am I aware of God’s ways of visiting me? What can I do to be more aware when he visits me today? Am I ready and willing to be used by God to visit other people as well? Do I always give back all the glory to God?

May we be sensitive of God’s visitation to us today, and allow him to use us to visit others as well.

Prayer:
Father God,
I thank you for choosing Mama Mary to be the mother of Jesus. Thank you that you chose a simple and humble woman from a simple place to be the earthly mother of your Son. Thank you because I know that you will choose me, a simple servant of yours, to accomplish your work and use me in a great way to proclaim your kingdom. Lord, I ask that I be more aware of your presence as you visit me today through other people and the circumstances surrounding me. And as I become sensitive to you visiting me, may I also be sensitive and cooperative to allow you to use me to visit others as well. Amen.

Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
-g-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...