Sunday, May 27, 2012

Let Go and Let God – Pentecost 2012

Happy Birthday!

This Sunday, Pentecost Sunday, is recognized as the birthday of the Church!

The readings today inspire us to let go of our old selves, receive the Spirit and let God take control.

In the gospel, we see Jesus giving Peace, then he gave them the Holy Spirit.

Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you.
As the Father has sent me, so I send you."
And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them,
"Receive the Holy Spirit.

In the first reading, we see a more detailed description, that the Spirit came like tongues of fire and enabled them to proclaim God’s kingdom. How empowering. The disciples who were afraid, locked up in a room for fear of the Jews, now proclaim God’s kingdom after receiving the Spirit. Ang galing talaga ni God! Indeed, his power is great and he can and will use us mightily if we let him.

Then the second reading reminds us to live a life in the Spirit – meaning a life pleasing to God all the time, not just when we’re with church friends, not just when we feel like it, not just when we are spiritually high.

Yes, mahirap.

But this is what God wants us to do. This is how God wants us to live We see in the second reading:

Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified their flesh
with its passions and desires.
If we live in the Spirit, let us also follow the Spirit.

We are asked to let go of our old self, with the worldly passions and desires. Yes, Let go…and let God. Let God take the lead in our live. Let God take the driver seat.  We need to let go of our old self, we need to die of ourselves, so that God can live in and through us.

Do I want to receive the Spirit in my life? What should I let go of so that Christ may live in me? Am I willing to let go of myself and my desires so that God can take control?

May we be inspired to let go of ourselves as receive the Spirit and allow God to be God in our lives.

Prayer:
Father God,
Thank you for sending your spirit. Thank you for keeping your promise that you will send the Holy spirit to be with us. Lord, I ask that you help me let go of my old self, and be willing and ready to receive you and give you control of my life. I know it is not easy, and that it will only by your grace that I would be able to do this. I have faith that anything is possible, and as I let go and let you control my life, you will use me mightily for your glory, like the way you used the apostles. All this I ask in faith in Jesus name. Amen

Have a blessed Sunday!

In Christ,
-g-

Ps
See related reflections:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Christ is Risen!

The WORD today reminds me that  Christ is Risen and has won over sin and death. The gospel tells us different accounts/stories about Christ’...